FolderView is the awesome?! [updated]

Filed under: Amarok,AmarokBlog,free software,KDE,Kubuntu,PlanetKDE,PlanetKubuntu — Lydia at 6:30 pm on Saturday, June 14, 2008

So there has been a lot of confusion about the KDE 4 desktop and FolderView lately and some nasty stuff I don’t want to go into right now. In the comments to Aaron’s blog someone said they don’t see how exactly it will be better and help them be more productive. So let me show you it ;-)

For those who don’t know about FolderView: It is a Plasmoid you can add to your desktop in KDE 4 to show files. It can also be used to emulate the “normal” desktop (for those who really really want it) but let me show you a few more very nifty things you can do with it.

FolderView showing my todos

This screenshot shows my self made todo plasmoid. I have a ~/tmp folder where I throw in all the stuff that is, well, temporary. This stuff needs to be moved somewhere else and I was just too lazy to do it right away or is stuff I need to look at and that can be deleted afterwards. And there are also a few TODO files in there that need my attention. So Plasma to the rescue! I created a FolderView that shows the content of my tmp folder and (here comes the nifty) filters it to only show me the stuff I really care about. Which is files with TODO in the filename.

But what about this cool thing: In KDE we have KIO and it is just fantastic. And of course you can also use KIO in FolderView and show all kinds of remote folders right on your desktop.

Here it shows the folders that keep my irc logs on the server my irssi is running on.

FolderView showing remote folders

And here some files on my ftp server:

FolderView showing remote folders

And of course you can also show something totally boring like my home folder ;-)

FolderView showing home folder

I hope this shows how powerful this already is now.
But it will become even more awesome once Nepomuk search can be used with this. (Or can it already?) Imagine showing all files tagged with “todo” across your whole file system. Or how about showing all files related to your thesis? Just tell it to show all files containing words related to your thesis.

Get creative people! There is a lot of nifty ahead of us :)

How are you going to use FolderView?

And before someone asks: You will be able to use it just like a “normal” desktop.

UPDATE:

Daniel, the SoC student working on Nepomuk integration in Amarok, just send me this:

FolderView showing Nepomuk search results

Sweetness :)  (It is still a work in progress and therefore in Playground.)

72 Comments

Comment by Chris

June 14, 2008 @ 4:47 pm

Wow, thanks a bunch for this. The ftp-server stuff is a rather cool thing to use. I will try it out :)

Comment by Jonas

June 14, 2008 @ 4:55 pm

One neat thing, apart from those you already mentioned, is that is negates the need for a quicklauncher applet.

I have thin folderview on the right-hand side of my screen, which points to ~/data/shortcuts.

Copy a bunch of .desktop files there, and hey: a quicklauncher sidepanel.

June 14, 2008 @ 4:57 pm

@Jonas: Woah that is a great idea indeed. Will try it :)

Comment by Bernhard Rode

June 14, 2008 @ 5:13 pm

I’m waiting for a way to put the folder view into the panels, too. Like Apple does in Leopard.

For the Foldeview Widget, I found a nice picture (looks appleish) http://www.flickr.com/photos/t_trace/2060171212/sizes/l/

Espacially the scroll bar, fade effect and preview on top looks awesome.

What do you think?

June 14, 2008 @ 5:23 pm

@Bernhard: Yea looks nice. Would be cool to see that integrated in KDE 4.2.

Comment by Scott

June 14, 2008 @ 5:42 pm

I have a couple of suggestions for making folderview more usable (for me at least):
- Be like “Quick File Browser” kicker applet. I would use this in a panel where I only want to see the icon until I click it, at which time the files would be shown. I would prefer a list like QFB, but I suppose others might like icons.
- I like the filter functionality, but I wish there was a way to only see files and not directories. Or some mechanism so that directories don’t take up so much room.

Comment by DanaKil

June 14, 2008 @ 5:45 pm

I don’t like at all the traditionnal “icons on desktop” and I think FolderView is much better. However, I hope we will see the come back of the old KDE3 applet “Quick Folder” (directory tree in a menu) or better ways to integrate FolderView in panels.

One more thing, the filter is really nice but it should be more usable for novices to have a list of mime-type (“I just want all my pictures here, I don’t even know what is a .jpg…”). Even I don’t know how to just show my folders with this system (ok, I’m not an expert but well…)

BTW, here is a cool mockup from Pinheiro related to folderview things :
I hope we will see something similar in a near future because this look very sexy and usefull :)

June 14, 2008 @ 5:52 pm

@Scott: I think it is on their list to not make it show folders. And yea I agree it would be good to have that.

@Danakil: Yea seems like a few people would love to see better integration in the panel. And yea Pinheiro’s mockups _are_ sexy ;-)

Comment by notmart

June 14, 2008 @ 6:19 pm

@Danakil: the idea for the future is to make big applets looking like iconified on the desktop, clicking on them, they are opened in a top level window, think about how behaves the device notifier if you put it in the panel as opposed when it is in the desktop.
the folderview will be something like that

Comment by Vadi

June 14, 2008 @ 6:48 pm

Looks pretty nice although I don’t get the point.

There’s an option in Ubuntu Tweak to make your home folder be the desktop, so all files/folders appear on the desktop… so I’m a bit confused.

June 14, 2008 @ 6:50 pm

@Vadi: Please read what I wrote. This is _a lot_ more powerfull than just making your home folder shown on your desktop.

Comment by mimoune djouallah

June 14, 2008 @ 6:52 pm

eh please LYDIA, can you and a screenshot about file standard action menu in folder view applet ( rename, add, delete)

thanks

June 14, 2008 @ 6:55 pm

@Mimoune: Sorry I can’t as that was not finished in KDE 4.1 beta 1, which is what I am using right now. But most of it is done in trunk and the rest is being worked on.

Comment by SSJ

June 14, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

@Mimoune: I’m not Lydia, but here we go, anyway ;)

June 14, 2008 @ 7:11 pm

;-) thank you Simon.

Comment by DanielW

June 14, 2008 @ 7:15 pm

@Mimoune:

Ok have done that screenshot. But it is partly german.

Öffnen – open
Kopieren – copy
Umbennenen – rename

There it is:

June 14, 2008 @ 7:20 pm

;-) Thanks Daniel as well.

Comment by Nikos

June 14, 2008 @ 7:23 pm

Is it possible to show filtered files from multiple folders by using some kind of expression ?

June 14, 2008 @ 7:28 pm

@Nikos: Will be possible with the Nepomuk search. Not yet though.

Comment by Carlos

June 14, 2008 @ 8:04 pm

It is nice indeed, but what do you do when the files don’t fit in the view and you have no more space left? There should be some kind of scroll and/or an option to change the size of the icons representing th files

June 14, 2008 @ 8:06 pm

@Carlos: Yes that is a problem. But I am very sure that plasma developers are aware of this problem and are working on it.

Comment by website design

June 14, 2008 @ 8:24 pm

I am really excited about having a FolderView open to ftp files on my webserver for editing my web site. It will be so handy.

Comment by Kyle Cunningham

June 14, 2008 @ 9:26 pm

What kind of expressions can be used with folder view? Is it just the simple unixy kind of thing (such as *) or are regular expressions possible as well?

Comment by Quintesse

June 14, 2008 @ 10:10 pm

One of the things I would really lke is to be able to order the files somehow. And maybe limit them to a certain number. Coz what I would like is to add a FolderView that monitors my download folder. For this I would need it to order those files and show the newest first.

June 14, 2008 @ 10:20 pm

@Kyle: It should support complex regular expressions.

Comment by dBera

June 14, 2008 @ 11:24 pm

Not that any of you care, but you can also use beagle kio-slave (its in playground) to create virtual folders for anything you want.
Here’s a screenie:

June 14, 2008 @ 11:46 pm

@DBERA: Nice. And we do care. Choice is good after all, right?

Comment by CPDA

June 14, 2008 @ 11:54 pm

Waouh, folder views are great :D That’s so powerfull and I can already imagine tons of things I could do with that.

BUT, still, why do I have to leave behind my old beloved fashion way of using my desktop :(
I mean, I just would like to have icons on my desktop acting as if they were in a folder view…

I would like so much kde4 desktop to be, from the user point of view, kde3 desktop + plasmoid/widgets/gadgets/*gets .
I can’t help it, I like to have tons of stupid icons on my desktop….
Will it be possible in 4.2 at least?

Congratulations for the good work, though :D

June 14, 2008 @ 11:58 pm

@CPDA:

>>>> BUT, still, why do I have to leave behind my old beloved fashion way of using my desktop <<<<

You don’t have to. Most of the stuff you want will be ready for KDE 4.1 and the rest will follow in 4.2.

Comment by Bob

June 15, 2008 @ 12:47 am

The only thing i dont like is the resizing, you never know how its going to end up, maybe if there was a resize at the bottom right, like with windows. But do all the plasmoids really need to be resizeable. Using dashboard on OS X, i dont really care how big the widget is, it gets the job done. I mean resizing the calculator widget, it makes the buttons bigger, big wow, i would rather have a slide-out panel with trig and other functions, or a panel with a list of constants. As for the rotating, don’t get me started.

But folderview is still cool, maybe if it acted a bit more like a file manager, ie drag and drop to copy, and dragging out files into apps.(This might be possible on svn latest, i dont know im only on beta 1). Then it would be awesome

Comment by Morty

June 15, 2008 @ 1:43 am

@Kyle:”What kind of expressions can be used with folder view?”

The cool thing it’s not only expressions you can use, but close to everything you can do with KIO slaves can be put in a folder view. So new functionality can be added by simply installing new KIO slaves.

For instance you can try one of these old favorites: imap://username@server or pop3://username@server

Comment by Shriramana SHarma

June 15, 2008 @ 4:26 am

Lydia, can you please tell me where to get that beautiful fractal-like background?

Comment by jeg

June 15, 2008 @ 7:48 am

I’d like to see an “autohide” function, where folder view is collapsible, either as a click or mouseover. Ideally, of course, to whatever geometry it was before it was collapsed.

Any way to specify mime types yet?

Comment by yman

June 15, 2008 @ 1:59 pm

@notmart:
I sure hope not!

June 15, 2008 @ 2:14 pm

@Shriramana SHarma: I got it with Kubuntu packages. You can get it from Vlad Studios. google it.

Comment by Ryan

June 15, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

Just a suggestion, but shouldn’t the Nepomuk search terms be put in the “Filter” field, rather than the path? That seems more consistent to me.

June 15, 2008 @ 3:14 pm

@Ryan: No, since the Nepomuk search used there is a KIO slave. Google for it if you want to know more.

Comment by yman

June 16, 2008 @ 12:15 am

@Lydia:
From the user’s POV, I think they should be separated. Users don’t think in technicalities like that, and they would even know it’s their if it’s not a separate entry. I’m not saying that this functionality should be removed, only that there should be a simpler and more obvious way as well. If the user changes the parameters in one, the other should change as well (In other words: 1 model, 2 views).

June 16, 2008 @ 12:26 am

@Yman: Mostly agree ;-) One just needs a good way of representing it.
Also keep in mind, that filtering is not the same as searching. You can get search results and then filter them…

Comment by Jean-Baptiste Balleyguier

June 16, 2008 @ 7:05 am

I think folderview is a great plasmoid. But, just imagine a better integration with nepomuk and desktop : in fact, let’s imagine a nepomuk plasmoid based on folderview. It would be an empty plasmoid, with just a search field, where you can tip your nepomuk search commands.

Files would appear when the command is done. And then, you would have some new options on the plasmoid, corresponding to the filetype (just below the “configure”, “resize”, “move” options of the plasmoid). For example, if you have mp3′s, you would have the icon of amarok, and clicking on it would launch amarok, and create a playlist with your files. If it’s avi’s dragonplayer would appear etc…

June 16, 2008 @ 9:09 am

@Jean-Baptiste: Wow, that sounds nice. Is probably not impossible to do.

Comment by Carsten

June 16, 2008 @ 11:27 am

I’m wondering if there is also some kind of KDirWatch for KIO by now. E.g. nepomuk/strigi/beagle could incrementally update a folder view when new search matches arrive.

June 16, 2008 @ 11:34 am

@Carsten: It is being worked on.

Comment by Fri13

June 16, 2008 @ 11:35 am

Isn’t that “nepomuksearch:/” kio-slave littebit too long?

I like (actually love) what kio-slaves offers but there should be easier and nicer way to offer them.

Like add a dropdown-list front of textbox on that configuration dialog, what would allow user to select does it filter a desktop, a XYZ folder, filter by search words or filter by tags/ratings etc, anything what kio-slaves use.

And even better if user could add search filter things by clickin + (and remove them by -) and typing new filter info.

Like:

[Nepomuk search]
+Johan
+Todo*

So user does not need to type “kio-slave:/” to get it work but simply just selecting what wants. Advanced users could type it there if wanted ;-)

Kio-slaves are way too underestimated and unknow by normal users because their usage is so dificult, it should be transparent (or should I say invisible?) way to do things ;-)

June 16, 2008 @ 12:31 pm

@FRI13: I agree but I think it got a lot better with the new address bar in Dolphin for example. It is a huge improvement and make KIO slaves a lot more dicoverable.

Comment by Fri13

June 16, 2008 @ 2:13 pm

@Lydia, you are right, the dolphin really brought the KIO-slaves to new day. It’s more how it should be, you just click the button and you get list of what you can do and then type the rest what is needed, without need to type the kio-slave itself.

This kind it should be on that too, user just clicks what directory/option wants to use for container. Even just clickin “tags” and it will use nepomuk:/tags: for it and user only need to type tags names to path.

It would be dificult to implent so all kio-slaves could be used easily, but I think it’s important so normal desktop user could do it without knowing what is kio-slave and how it should be typed.

For normal and new computer user the http:// is already hard enough, to know when does and does not need www. in front of webpage or when it’s needed to click or double click a button/link.

So if there would be dropdown-list and there a option for “tags” and then user could type names with autocomplete, it would be much better too ;-)

Comment by Fri13

June 16, 2008 @ 2:21 pm

Continue: By my opinion, nepomuk should be “integrated” (used actually) littlebit same way as Apple did with spotlight and Novell with Kerry.

I love the way how Novell added kerry option for KDE’s Open/Save dialoge where you just click it and then type what you want to search and you save/open files trouht it, without knowing where they file actually is :-)

And nepomuk should be used with same usability, technology is now there but now it’s that you need to type there the kio-slave and you dont have button somewhere.

Plasma and Qt allows to do so much great things that nepomuk could be added almost everywhere. Example, you could add/remove nepomuk to/from open/save dialog so it’s side by side on the other places. I would love the idea that there is “search” button on open / save dialoge where you just type what you search and you get the results.

Comment by Mekon Delta

June 16, 2008 @ 3:02 pm

Can we please have a folderview that can be opened and closed like a drawer?

I think people would instantly “get” this. You could call it “Desktop Drawer”.

It would allow tradtional, natural placement of desktop icons while allowing other new plasmoids and innovative concepts to be placed on the same wallpaper without any competition for space.

It could drop from an edge of the screen, like Yakuake (Deskuake!). There could be different tabs for different folders or filters.

So how about Desktop Drawer?

Comment by Leif Erikson

June 16, 2008 @ 4:11 pm

Another Fan of Elliott Smith? Keep on rocking! ;)

Pingback by KDE 4.0.82 + Kubuntu Tutorials Day « Terminal Variant

June 16, 2008 @ 4:30 pm

[...] you’re wondering why I don’t have icons or the Folder View widget (which, by the way is pretty useful contradictory to anyone who thinks otherwise), its because I use the nice Alt+F2 Run Menu. Its much [...]

Pingback by life at the end of the universe » What a Sunday…

June 16, 2008 @ 6:40 pm

[...] of love for my little FolderView intro. I didn’t expect that to be honest. But it is nice to see that more and more people realise [...]

Comment by Jason

June 16, 2008 @ 10:39 pm

You all will probably hate me, but I think the FV should be attached to the search at first, and the search criteria should be collapsible. I’d also like a window title… These may not be issues for FV, but I didn’t know where else to make them.

I’d also think it was cool if you could “popout” the attached folder view to be its own entity, and in its attched place, a new search and empty FV is created.

Pingback by Boycott Novell » IRC: #boycottnovell @ FreeNode: June 17th, 2008

June 17, 2008 @ 7:45 am

[...] More on KDE 4.1’s rather nifty folder view plasmoid: http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2008/06/&#8230; [...]

Comment by Jinesh

June 18, 2008 @ 6:51 am

BTW, don’t you guys think there should be a way to iconify or minimise a plasmoid temporarily. Maybe i don’t need to see all the folderviews at the same time and in this case what can I do ?

Comment by E@zyVG

June 18, 2008 @ 8:17 am

Looking really good, though I prefer to leave my desktop iconless. Looking forward to 4.1 release, running on openSUSE 11.

Comment by Renato S. Yamane

June 18, 2008 @ 5:24 pm

Congratulations! Very nice work!

Best regards,
Renato S. Yamane
Brazil

Comment by Edmund

June 19, 2008 @ 1:03 pm

I am watching the development ot KDE since its beginning.

Long time ago I came to the conclusion that having filenames and having directoies is not the right way to handle documents.

It is much better to have (any number of) tags (or if you want to say attributes) you add to your documents.
(google made this popular with gmail)

Please consider, the name of a file is also an attribute of a file.
And also the directory where a file is stored is just an attribute/tag.

But there are many more attributes/tags you can add to a file/document. Now with Nepomuk this is possible.

What you also need for good file handling is a good filter and a good user interface to define the filter you want to use to filter out the file/s you search for out of “all” files you have available.

Like you define a filter which says “I want an MP3 file which is from ABBA which has a bitrate of a least 128 kBit and I do have stored localy”
This for you need a good Filtereditor.

Then you get a Folderview of the “first 30 documents fitting your criterias” with the number of documents which fulfill your criteria.

One document in the Filterview is active and its content is shown in a documentpreview. you can navigate with a button press to view the net document in the documentview. It might be that the documenttypes are different. The documentpreview can display/render all docuementypes. The documentpreview precaches the next/previous document so that flipping thought the content of a folderview is very very fast.

If your number of documents fitting your criteria is larger than 500, then you get displayed >500, because it does not make sense to browse through such a long list of documents.

In this case you add another criteria (selected from the Tags/attributes contained in the
already selected number of documents) to further filter down your list to a browsable number of documents/files.

If this is interactive, you can add as many filter as you need to get to a reasonable number of browsable documents.

lets say you want to browse for documents you got from a person, it might be that you got from one person only 40 documents, than this filter might be enough.
but you might have gotten from anohter person 4000 documents, then you need to define an additional filter to find the document you search for (e.g. you cold add a word contained in the document or a duration in which you have received the document, or the document type).

We use this interactive filter interface in a commercial application to look for one certain document in hundrets of thousands of documents (is a warehouse location where every pick is a document, we have about 10000 picks every day) and it is very effective.

I can see that KDE might go into this.

If you are interested in more details, please reply.

ed

Comment by G.P

June 25, 2008 @ 7:18 am

Dude; Nice little review that handles all of the … “Oh my god where the hell have all my files gone? ” syndrome .. cudos.

GP

June 25, 2008 @ 8:59 am

@G.P: Dude! Please don’t dude me. ;-)

And thanks :)

Comment by datoch

June 25, 2008 @ 10:30 am

Hi,

I can’t find folderview in my kubuntu 8.04. It should appear in “add widgets” window?

June 25, 2008 @ 10:35 am

@Datoch: If you have KDE 4.1 beta 1 then yes it should be there. If you already upgraded to beta 2 then no. Something is currently broken it seems and the applet is missing. Wait for package updates.

Comment by datoch

June 25, 2008 @ 10:51 am

Thanks Lydia.

I’ve just upgraded to beta 2.

Pingback by Improvements in KDE’s Folderview « /home/liquidat

June 26, 2008 @ 1:04 pm

[...] plasmoid. With the release of KDE 4.1 Beta 2 several small improvements. Folderview is an awesome plasmoid which makes it possible to show the content of a folder on a screen. It also is the first [...]

Comment by thedevilsjester

June 26, 2008 @ 1:38 pm

Anything that will let me get rid of the horrible KDE4 “desktop” and go back to sanity is a welcome addition! This is one of the crucial apps that will make using KDE4 not so much of a chore.

Pingback by Boiko’s Blog » Blog Archive » About the Plasma’s FolderView

June 27, 2008 @ 7:42 pm

[...] FolderView is a very nice way of organizing your stuff and making everything quickly accessible in the desktop. It is also nice to see it supports kio and that it is being [...]

Comment by Ramón Antonio Parada

July 10, 2008 @ 6:42 pm

I think it is a great feature and an step ahead from Desktop Icons. I think there must be two kinds of criticism:

1. People who don’t want desktop icons to change as they are adapted to them (Always happen when you change something)

2. People that see that you can still go futher and get greater usability (Well we want to change the world! but cannot do it in one step)

So first, congratulations and thanks for the improvement. Second I hope my opinions can help. I never got many functionality from plasmoids in the background so sometimes I don’t feel comfortable with FolderView because of it is not in my panel. Here are some of the problems I got:

1. To know if there was any change in the plasmoid content

2. Access to it’s contents (If you are in “keyboard mode” there is a key shortcut but I never remember it. In most common “mouse mode” you got Show Desktop plasmoid. But in both cases you don’t really want to hide all your windows, just to view a folder.)

It would be nice if FolderView could be taken in any way into the panel. Currently if you add a FolderView plasmoid to the panel you can’t do anything. So would be nice if there is not enought space to show the icons where converted to a single one and then you click on it:

1. The plasmoid is shown in front of you with all the icons
2. Something like Leopard Stacks
3. Dolphin window
4. Somebody must have better ideas than me

In general it would be nice if all plasmoids could be in any way be minimized into panel to have an easy mouse access and visual access (to get notifications) so you can control the system from your panel! I think it’s one of the OSX advantages in comparsion with KDE. You know http://fluidapp.com/ ?

Showing a search from Nepomuk in a FolderView is AMAZING!!

Comment by FWILLY73

July 14, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

@LYDIA: Is there a way to define a negated filter. Also display all files, which are not documents? For example:
!*.txt !*.doc or
^*.txt ^*.doc

Pingback by KDE 4.1 - Non guardate indietro « FreeGLOO

July 29, 2008 @ 11:17 pm

[...] desktop. Tuttavia può essere configurato per comportarsi sostanzialmente come KDE 3. Vedi questo post di Lydia Pintscher per ulteriori informazioni su [...]

Pingback by Is KDE 4.1 for you? « Geekzine.org

October 24, 2008 @ 10:37 pm

[...] your “desktop”. However, it can still be configured to behave much like KDE 3 did. Seethis blog entry by Lydia Pintscher for some more information on [...]

Comment by Rick Jafrate

November 5, 2008 @ 12:24 pm

@Lydia: With all due respect I think it’s incorrect to assume that the person about whom you are speaking is confused or blind to the possibilities of KDE4′s advanced features. You seem unable to understand that some people work in a production environment where losing the functionality of their good old desktop, limited though it may be,is a severe burden. It doesn’t matter how much better the new thing is, it’s not worth a disruption in the work flow.

From what I have read about this it would seem that the KDE4 developers were naive and arrogant when they decided to eliminate the old desktop functionality. I don’t mean to be starting a flame war here but I have yet to hear a sound reason for this decision.

Ok so they have this plasmoid paradigm they want to utilize and it’s plasmoids that get dropped on the desktop. What’s the big deal really? To keep the old functionality they just need wrap the icon with a tiny invisible plasmoid when it’s dropped on the desktop. It would have been the obvious first order of business IMHO.

Now I have read many times that it’s possible to do everything in KDE4 that could be done in KDE3 such as dropping icons on the desk top. And Lydia you have repeated this mantra but I have not yet seen a demonstration or an explanation of how this would be done. I suspect that what is meant is something like “Well you can kind of sort of can do something that is kind of like what you used to do but you won’t want to do it because it is not nearly as easy as it used to be…”

Perhaps you would be kind enough in your reply to explain exactly how one would go about dragging a file, an application short-cut, and a url to the desktop in KDE4.1. Exactly what has to be done, what are all the steps, and what does the result look like.

I’m sorry if I sound nasty here but you can hardly expect to treat technical professionals like ignorant boobs without any distension. Am I wrong?

November 5, 2008 @ 11:43 pm

Rick, it was not at all my intention to sound arrogant or tell people that what they feel is irrelevant. Contrary. What I did was show people all the new and cool stuff they can do with their new desktop in a rough time when a vocal minority bashed it publicly.

So about your concerns: If you feel that KDE 4.1 is not ready for you: fine! Absolutely no problem. Keep using KDE 3 for the time being. Noone is going to call you names for it ;-)
And about the things you wanted to see like dragging a file and so on: did you try it? I am currently switching between KDE 4.1 and what is going to be KDE 4.2 so I can’t really tell you if it is all possible in 4.1 already (Also depends on what your distro backported…). So for now my advice for you is to wait and test live CD’s every now and then and check if the features you need are implemented. For a _very_ large number of people 4.2 will be that release. For a considerable number 4.1 is that release already. And for some even 4.3 will not be it. There unfortunately is no 1-fits-all :/

Thanks for your comment.

Comment by Inder

March 15, 2009 @ 7:39 am

hi

i am using Ubuntu and installed kde on it,
i want my plasma desktop folder back on kde desktop
i tried as you had said in ur article above folder view.

but still i am not able to enable it..
to get my desktop files i have to go to dolphin file explorer..

so can u pls help out

how to get it back..

pls reply in detail

pls email at ipskhurana@gmail.com
thanks n rgds
Inder
India

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.