announcing Season of KDE 2011

Filed under: Amarok,AmarokBlog,free software,KDE,PlanetKDE,PlanetKubuntu — Lydia at 9:17 pm on Monday, April 25, 2011

I’m super happy that KDE could accept 51 student for GSoC this year. It’s an impressive number and they’ll make a difference in KDE this year. But this number also means that we had to say no to many students. A lot of tough choices had to be made. Now I can’t magically make more GSoC slot appear unfortunately. But I can do something else.  I can run another Season of KDE together with an awesome team of mentors and co-admins. And that is exactly what I am going to do. So here’s the details for this year’s Season of KDE:

• What is Season of KDE? It is a program for people we could not accept into Google Summer of Code for various reasons.
  • Who can take part? Everyone but preference is given to those who have applied for GSoC.
  • What do I get out of this? A great summer working on a really cool KDE project and gaining valuable experience, a t-shirt, a certificate and maybe a few other goodies.
  • How do I apply? If you are serious about it fill out this short survey and I’ll try to get back to you asap.
  • What is the timeline? The timeline is up to you and your mentor. We ask you to stay close to the GSoC timeline if possible.
  • Do I need to have a mentor before applying? It is preferred. If you don’t have one yet we will try to find one.
  • Do I need to have a project idea before applying? It is preferred. If you don’t have one yet we will try to find one. You should at least have an idea however which part of KDE you want to work in. KDE is huge.
  • Do I need to write a proposal like in GSoC? No but we’d like to see a project plan describing what you’ll be working on.
  • Is it only for coders like GSoC? Depending on the project we’re willing to consider non-coding projects as well. Get in touch to figure out details.
  • I applied for a project in GSoC and another student got selected for it. Can I still work on it? Likely not. But we will try to find something related for you if you want, or something completely different. Let us know what you want.
  • Is this GSoC or connected to Google? No.

If you have further questions please come to our IRC channel #kde-soc or send an email to the admin team at kde-soc-mentor-owner@kde.org.

In previous years we had 1, 4 and 8 successful Season of KDE students. My personal goal for this year is 16. Are you going to be one of them? You should be!

21 Comments

Pingback by life at the end of the universe » Not accepted into GSoC? Here’s what to do…

April 25, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

[...] with Season of KDE – You get to work on cool stuff all over KDE and get a t-shirt and certificate if you are [...]

Comment by JanKusanagi

April 25, 2011 @ 11:10 pm

Just curious… does one need to be a student, like in GsoC?

Comment by Lydia

April 25, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

No I’m fine with accepting non-students to Season of KDE though I’m going to give preference to students if necessary.

Comment by Kusa

April 25, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Sure ! I want to be one of the 16 students who take part to SoK ! Can i get more detail about my proposal for improve it and apply to SoK ?

Comment by Lydia

April 25, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

@Kusa please apply via the form above and mention that you want feedback. Also provide a link to your proposal. I will get to it as soon as I can.

Comment by Naman

April 26, 2011 @ 5:44 am

What is the preference level, if I applied for GSoC, 2011 but not in KDE (I Dont know why :P) ??

Comment by Lydia

April 26, 2011 @ 8:31 am

Don’t worry too much about it. Apply :)

Comment by Dhruv

April 27, 2011 @ 9:56 am

It’s awesome opportunity provided by kde for students who look forward to work in open-source projects. This project worth working for during my summer. Thanks LYDIA

Pingback by Season of KDE: Need Help Anyone? | Apachelogger's Log

April 28, 2011 @ 11:58 am

[...] projects, however as I can only work on one, so I would like to suggest the following project for Season of KDE. by [...]

Comment by sx

April 28, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

what is the deadline to apply

Comment by Lydia

April 28, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

I’d like to have it all done as soon as possible. The latest I’ll take applications is end of July.

Comment by Apurva

April 28, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Hi Lydia great to see you after Conf KDE, I failed to make it for GSOC this year. I applied for Kmail. I want to join in but I am not that good at code. ??

Comment by Lydia

April 28, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Hi :)
Well you can always look for a smaller project to work on and see if that works out :)
Or you can try to do something that is not coding.

Pingback by I’m in SoK! « Helder's Corner

April 28, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

[...] very happy on these days! I had been accepted to KDE program called “Season of KDE” (SoK). I will help on Flow program. Flow is a program part of older KOffice, now called [...]

Comment by Atul

April 29, 2011 @ 5:47 am

Hi Lydia,
Its been been great to see you after KDEconf.in, from past 4 days I was dejected cuz I couldn’t make it in the GSOC, but your blog have given me new hope. Thnx a lot :)

Comment by Abhinav Bondalapati

April 29, 2011 @ 7:14 am

This is an awesome opportunity. I didnt apply to GSOC because the timeline was a problem. I have met few KDE developers and heard about the great community. But I have little knowledge of Qt. But I am a very passionate programmer and FOSS enthusiastic. Can I still participate?

Comment by Lydia

April 29, 2011 @ 9:38 am

@Atul: You’re welcome. I hope you can work on something great.

Comment by Lydia

April 29, 2011 @ 9:38 am

@Abhinav: Yes you can if we find a nice project and a mentor for you.

Pingback by Season of KDE, Amarok and me « Arvind S Raj's Blog

April 30, 2011 @ 11:37 am

[...] I’d applied to Google Summer of Code 2011 this time to Amarok and sad to say I didn’t get selected this time. But the rejection mail contained a message from KDE saying they’d still like us to apply for Season of KDE, a program similar to SOC conducted by KDE; only more informal and a longer program(applications are still open; check community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas). You can read the announcement here http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2011/04/25/announcing-season-of-kde-2011/. [...]

Comment by Mojtaba

May 3, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Hi
I applied and i wish to be a KDE developer . but it should be hard first but it will be good for me and my life

Pingback by ??????? ??? ?? ????? ??????????? « MGroup

May 13, 2011 @ 7:46 am

[...] ?? ???? ?? ?? ??? ?????) ?????? ???????? ???? ?? ??? Season Of KDE ?? ????? ???????? ? ???????????? ?? ??? Google summer of code [...]

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.