Open Advice

Filed under: books,free software,PlanetKDE,PlanetKubuntu — Lydia at 2:30 pm on Saturday, February 4, 2012

I have been passionate about Free Software for a long time now. My contributions have always revolved around helping people make amazing things happen and realize what they are really capable of. I’ve shown many people that small niche that just fits them perfectly and seen them grow from there and make a difference.
Along the way I’ve always come accross two problems:

1. “I can’t do X (usually programming), how could I ever be useful to a project”
  2. “This is so overwhelming, I don’t even know where to start.”

I’ve done a lot of things to overcome this but it wasn’t ever enough somehow.┬áToday I am at FOSDEM presenting a book, that will be another step towards fixing these problems. Today I am releasing Open Advice.
Open Advice cover
Open Advice is the result of the collaboration of more than 50 people from all across Free Software. It is a collection of short essays about key things the authors wished they had known when they started contributing to Free Software. It’ll give a headstart to everyone who wants to contribute. It’ll also be useful for existing contributors who want to know a bit more about other projects and areas of contribution.

The book is available as a paperback and free PDF and is licensed under CC-BY-SA.

What are you waiting for? Download the PDF version today or order a printed version.

Additional goodies: The LaTeX source is available and a bug tracker exists as well.

A year ago I started working on this project and today it is reality. If you’re at FOSDEM I’m sure you can see me bouncing around with joy :D

17 Comments

Comment by sebas

February 4, 2012 @ 4:24 pm

Congratulation to this achievement, and chapeau!

Comment by czajkowski

February 4, 2012 @ 6:08 pm

Well done and congratulations to you! I’m also at fosdem would be nice to meet up if you have some spare time.

Comment by Alf B. Rustad

February 4, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Thanks for your efforts! Just as I was looking for my next book, this comes as a blessing :) Where can I order a paper version, preferably hardcover, but paperback will do too?

Comment by Inge Wallin

February 4, 2012 @ 7:07 pm

Congratulations Lydia!

One more item off the list of things to do before you die. :)

Comment by Lydia

February 4, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Thanks folks :)

@Alf: There is a link on http://open-advice.org to lulu.com where you can buy a printed version.

Comment by dave

February 4, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

it would be nice to have an epub version of this

Comment by bauerbob

February 4, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

This book is GREAT! Thank you so much, Lydia.

Comment by Lydia

February 5, 2012 @ 11:17 am

@Dave: I am happy to put an epub version on the website if someone creates one.

Comment by CoLa

February 5, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Congratulations for this really awesome book! Let’s see if I finish reading the PDF before or after my print copy arrives :)

Comment by Mirko Boehm

February 5, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Congratulations, Lydia! What an achievement. Does 4SQ have a badge for that? :-)

Comment by Lydia

February 5, 2012 @ 4:35 pm

@Mirko *lol* I don’t think there is a 4SQ badge for it _yet_

Comment by dhaumann

February 8, 2012 @ 10:47 am

Since quite some KDE contributors seem to be involved, maybe make a dot story out of it? :)

Comment by Lydia

February 8, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Dot story is being worked on :P

Pingback by ???????????? ????? "Open Advice" ? ???????? 42 ?????????? ????????? ???????? ???????? | AllUNIX.ru — ????????????? ?????? ? UNIX-????????

February 8, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

[...] ??????????? FOSDEM ???????????? ????? «Open Advice«, ?? ????????? ??????? ???????????? [...]

Comment by Valorie Zimmerman

February 11, 2012 @ 6:00 am

Congratulations on a great achievment! Can’t wait to read your book. :-)

Comment by Mike McCallister

February 12, 2012 @ 12:57 am

This is excellent news (even if I’m a little late in getting it)! Thanks for your work on this; I can’t wait to read it too.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.